Wednesday 18 April 2012

Workers Compensation


It took me a while to write about this topic.  Why, you ask?  It is because in the past I got injured at work and had to deal with Workers Compensation.  And it takes a lot of time to get over it.

Here are some examples of what I had to deal with:
  • Multiple assessments that were out of town
  • Having to defend my symptoms
  • Having to attend seemingly endless doctor's appointments
  • Receiving offensive Workers Compensation letters whereby information was twisted
  • Pressure to return to my job when I was not physically ready
  • Given arbitrary dates when I "should" return to work which was not based on my family doctor's recommendations
  • Diagnosis changed by Workers Compensation Medical Consultants when they had not even met with me
In general I felt that dealing with Workers Compensation was more traumatic than getting injured.  I had never dealt with Workers Compensation before and I found it a very complicated process.  I often felt like a criminal when I was actually a victim.  However, I am very thankful that I had a supportive and knowledgeable family doctor that forced me to take my symptoms seriously and did not rush me in any way to return to work before I was ready.

Another thing that helped was speaking to my Union representative who assured me I was on the right track with the process.  The Union representative also agreed to attend any future meetings with me.

I was also grateful for the support I received from co-workers that I bumped into while I was off.  They assured me that my injury was serious and that no, I should not return to work if I was not physically ready.  My injury was an isolating one because there were not a lot of obvious physical symptoms.  One of my greatest worries were that people thought I was faking my injury.  But finding discussion boards online helped me to see that many people with my condition felt the same way.  It made me feel less alone and got me through some hard times.

I know that my injury has changed me profoundly.  I do not have the energy I used to, I no longer participate in heavy physical activities and in general I am more cautious about getting hurt again.  Some of my symptoms may be permanent which in the beginning was a hard fact to deal with.  But in many ways it has made me appreciate the more important things in life like my family.  I have to consider things I never used to before to look out for my best interests and I often reject the pressure that other people want to put on me because I am more aware of my limitations.  I am no longer a superwoman but it was a wake-up call I so desperately needed.  I now make decisions based on my well-being instead of financial gains etc.

I can also no longer handle the amount of stress that I used to.  So that has made finding appropriate social work jobs fun since I have many criteria that it must fit before I even apply.  I have decided that I want to be in this field for the long haul so I don't want to burn out from a job that is above my abilities. 

Now for all of those reading this post who have gotten injured at work, you have my greatest sympathy.  It is an isolating process and overwhelming, especially when you are dealing with Workers Compensation. 

To assist those early in this process I have come up with some tips:
  • Report your injury immediately to your employer and receive medical assistance as soon as possible
  • Ensure that you, your doctor and your employer complete all necessary Workers Compensation documentation
  • Keep records of the contact you had with your employer after your injury.  Do not make promises or give dates when you can return to work until it is confirmed by your doctor
  • Seek support from your Union, a Workers Compensation advocate (not affiliated with them) or a trusted family member or friend who will ensure that your best interests are being considered and that you are not being coerced  back to work before you are ready
  • Keep records of all doctor's appointments attended.  Also, attend the doctor as frequently as Workers Compensation determines since you do not want to give them a reason to cut you off for non-compliance
  • Attend all assessments arranged by Workers Compensation.  If you are participating in a physical test stop when you are in pain as you do not want to make your injury worse
  • Before speaking with your Workers Compensation caseworker write down what your current symptoms are and stick to them even if the caseworker questions you about them
  • The Workers Compensation caseworker may try and get you to say that your symptoms are due to a previous condition before the injury.  Be honest since all your previous medical information will eventually come to light.  However, DO NOT ADMIT THIS UNLESS IT IS TRUE.  Do not let the caseworker pressure you even though it does take a toll on you emotionally
  • Access counselling through work if it is available to help assist with any strong feelings about the injury, the treatment process or Workers Compensation.
  • If you are given modified work, ensure with your doctor that you are working the appropriate amount of hours and are completing acceptable duties that match your current abilities
  • Even though your employer and Workers Compensation will want you to return to your previous job you have to accept that you may not be able to and that is alright.  There may be some shock or sadness when you determine this but in my case it forced me to make a change that I really needed
  • Apply for short term/long term disability insurance as necessary.  Ensure that you give enough time to have all paperwork completed so that you will continually receive an income.

Although my injury was an unfortunate experience it has made me stronger and less willing to compromise when it comes to my health.  To be honest, I never saw it coming and it made me realise that I am not invincible - which is another social work lesson which I had to learn!

Because of this experience I feel like I am a stronger person both physically and mentally.  I AM A SURVIVOR.  And I now know that if I can handle this difficult experience I can handle almost anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment