Monday 4 November 2013

Career Planning and the Social Worker

Hi Readers,

I have been racking my brain over the few weeks about what my work options are.  I admit, in the last week work has calmed down more however the stress is still there.  I am trying my best to decrease my responsibilities on the weekends so at least I can have a couple of days to relax.  It is nice not to have a schedule, to sleep in and distract myself with some good t.v.  During the rest of my spare time I research different careers in the hope that there is something out there that can better meet my needs.  But it's not easy, especially with my social worker's critical eye.  I read between the lines and see heaping amounts of responsibility, or crazy work hours or a lot of travel.  Sigh.  Then I start all over again.

I look at my agency which has several offices in different cities and I wonder if there is a position in another office that might be a better fit.  I have even agreed to learn some new work tasks which could parlay into having the experience to do another job at my agency.  It's a job with very limited travel and regular hours.  However, I think it would be very challenging to finally get this job as it does not become available very often (like a couple times a decade!).

And then I had an idea yesterday which hit me like a bolt of lightening.  I don't know why I didn't seriously consider this before.  What about doing social work PART TIME?  In about five years I will be able to afford to do this and I know there are positions at my agency that are part-time.  It would allow me to have more time to pursue hobbies, volunteering and finally attain the elusive creature otherwise known as work life balance.  Less pressure, less stress, less anxiety.  It seems so appealing, especially if I can still have benefits as a part time worker.  I do feel some guilt since I don't have a family as I imagine the reasons why many women who work part time due so because of family obligations.  But I also know that keeping up with this hectic pace is insanity and I want to be able to enjoy my life more.  I don't want to wait until I retire before I get to do all the things I wanted to do in my life.

However, career planning for social workers can be tricky.  We always need to think a few steps ahead from where we are today to where we want to be tomorrow.  And things can change so quickly like our health or our family situation.  Our agencies also change and so do our job descriptions.  The things we wanted for ourselves may no longer suffice.  We may have reached our ultimate career goal and then find out we want something different.  My only recommendation is try and see your career in small blocks.  Imagine yourself where you want to be in the next year or five years.  Then when you reach that new phase imagine new goals for yourself.  And try to remember it is not one straight line up to the top.  You do not need to become a supervisor or manager if that does not fit with your values, personality or talents.  You can move up and then move back down.  Or you can move across to do something different.  There are many career options out there for us social workers and don't feel limited by other people's opinions of what your career path should look like.  Listen to your body, mind and heart.  I know I haven't taken a traditional career path, although whatever moves I make next I want them to be better-informed then the ones I made before.

As Always,

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment