Sunday 24 November 2013

Boundaries and the Social Worker

Hello Readers,

I want to give a special mention to those Social Workers who are in the military as in Canada November 11 was Remembrance Day.  These Social Workers face unique challenges that many of us will never experience.  Often they are in the trenches (at least metaphorically) with the people they are trying to help.  They too are missing their family members and friends on top of facing professional isolation.  There is likely little separation between their work and personal lives when they are on duty and their own safety can be put at risk in work zones.  Anyway, I wanted to let those Social Workers know we are thinking of them.

In regards to the topic of my post, this is something I have been working very hard on lately.  Creating boundaries.  Most of the time I feel this heavy weight of responsibility on my shoulders - at work and at home.  I worry about my career and if it is on track.  I hope I am making the best decisions possible for my future and for my life today.  And I am learning to say no when work cuts into my personal time, especially when it doesn't need to.  Also, I feel like I am doing a better job at educating my supervisor about how long my job really takes to do because the time frames she gives me are often not realistic.  For my personal life, I am now creating boundaries with my volunteering.  The person I am supposed to be helping has been stringing me along and as much as my mother wants me to keep trying I am getting frustrated.  I do not like chasing people when it's not related to work!  Like many Social Workers I have been so good at giving thoughtful advice to others, and now I am beginning to realize I deserve the same amount of consideration for myself.  I am learning what I can handle and what my boundaries are and I am now starting to put up a fight when both are being threatened.

As Always,

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment