Tuesday 24 July 2012

Workplace Intimidation and the Social Worker



I am sorry that I haven`t written for over a week but I have been busy with work related things and it hasn`t left me with much time to write.

This topic has come up for me recently.  I decided to write about it because I want others to know that they are not alone if they too are experiencing intimidation or workplace bullying.

I have recently been informed that my social work abilities had been questioned by someone at my agency.  I don`t think that the person who said this meant for me to find out but I did.  When I discovered these comments I was confused, frustrated, upset and felt a huge blow to my self esteem.  I thought I had been doing a pretty good job and none of these comments had been brought to my attention during any supervisory meetings or informal chats with my supervisor or any higher ups.  So as a result, I felt betrayed.  I also felt that my reputation and character had been assassinated.  All of my hard work, my years of education now felt meaningless.  I was very angry at this person for saying these things, and angry at the agency itself because I had dedicated myself to that job, often at the cost of my personal life and this is what I got in return.

I don`t know why we can`t give as much consideration to our employees as we give to our clients in the field of social work.  I know that these issues exist in many organisations but on the front line we especially need the support of our coworkers, supervisors and management.  I suppose I am so disappointed because I have always carried myself at work with dignity and respect towards others and it`s disheartening when you don`t get it back.

So then let`s discuss options if you are in this situation like me.  First, document EVERYTHING!  You will need this if the issue is brought to your union or management.  You can arrange for a meeting with the person  who said these things but speak to your supervisor first to make them aware of the situation (if they were not the ones making the disrespectful and damaging comments).  See what you can do to get this off your personal record if it is included in your file.  Have it documented there that you did not agree with the comments.  Try not to get upset when speaking to the person as you want to remain professional.  Just because they are acting inappropriate does not mean that you should as well.  Take the higher ground.  Don`t quit if you feel you are being intimidated, seek support of your union for next steps and do not discuss the situation with fellow coworkers since you don`t want a lot of rumours flying around - it only makes things worse.

The person who made these comments about me has a lot of power and I am in the middle of a career transition so I have to be careful.  Once I am settled I am going to address this issue with the person.  They need to know that just because an employee is kind, does not mean you can take advantage of them.  I am going to stand up for myself, which is a hard lesson I have had to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment