Friday 13 July 2012

Changing Your Area of Social Work Practise


As this image demonstrates there are several areas that a social worker can work in.  And sometimes the area you start in is not the one you finish in.

However, what most people won't tell you is just how important your first social work jobs are.  They set the foundation of your career and if you decide to change directions, many potential employers may not think you are qualified to be working in a different area of social work.

I know it's ridiculous because as social workers we have many transferable skills and many of our techniques and experiences can translate well into working with other groups.  However, many job postings are so black and white that they want you to PROVE you have direct experience with that population.

So what is a social worker to do if they realize they want to move on to a new area?  First, try volunteering, or working either casually or part time in that area if you can.  Take a lower position even if that means getting your foot in the door and starting from the bottom.  Also, maybe you can transfer within your agency so that at least you will have a similar job title as the one you want in your new area.

I have found my experience working with children and youth to be limiting when I have applied for other positions.  I have been told I have no experience with seniors and so on when I know I can do the core of that job.

So what other alternatives do you have then?  I suggest remaining persistent if you want to enter a new area of social work.  Get as much experience as you can, any way you can in that area and take relevant courses if it will give you a leg up.

And don't believe you will be stuck in one area of social work forever.  I have met many social workers who have eventually transitioned into new areas and are all the more happier and fulfilled because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment