Thursday 14 June 2012

The Social Work Lifestyle



I think this picture greatly represents the daily work life of the social worker.  This woman looks like she could be rushing to court, or maybe to an important meeting and it seems she didn't have a chance to take a proper break/lunch.  Sound familiar?

This used to be a daily ritual for me.  Quickly eating my snacks at my desk or sadly, while on the phone with clients if I was really starving - but of course I tried to do it covertly!  Or if I needed to just get away from it all and did not have a legitimate excuse to leave the building, ie. no home visits scheduled that day, I would take short breaks by leisurely walking to the restroom.  While inside I would take several minutes to touch up my makeup, make sure my outfit was neat and just generally BREATHE.  It's sad but I had to go there to take a break because if I was visible anywhere in the officer there was always something that a worker needed to see me about.  Sometimes you just have to stop the rush and collect your thoughts.  And it's not something to feel guilty about because it makes you a better worker when you actually have time to reflect on the important decisions you have to make.

So of course from missing or cramming meals as I mentioned above, you then get to experience stomach problems as you cannot digest your food properly or you are so hungry that your stomach threatens to throw a revolt if you do not eat something immediately.  And get used to people invading your space when you are trying to take a break as I countlessly had other workers stop by my desk while I was eating and it didn't seem to bother them a bit.  I can understand if it's lunchtime and everyone is eating or if it's an emergency but come on people, we have to let our coworkers enjoy their food!

Another part of the lifestyle is wearing dress clothes, unless you work for a relaxed agency, it's casual Friday or you work for an organisations where you are required to wear uniforms.  So a good part of your salary in the beginning is finding appropriate work attire and of course a suit or two for court if your job involves speaking before a judge or testifying.   The one bad thing is if you say, work with children or youth it makes it challenging to play with toys or play a game of basketball while you are wearing high heels and dress clothes.  One thing to consider as well is slip on shoes if you have to do home visits as they are easier to get on if you have to leave in an emergency.  The same goes for shoes that cover you whole foot in case you accidentally step in something unexpected!

Other aspects of the lifestyle include going in to work early if you have to prepare for a meeting which starts off your work day or staying late to deal with paperwork or a crisis.  So usually when you get home you are very exhausted, and not likely in the mood to cook or do housework.  Say hello to tv dinners and/or a very forgiving partner who let's you just relax when you get home.  And if you are reminded that in the near future you need to pay bills, go grocery shopping and so on it will probably make you want to scream as it did me.  I just could not take another suggestion which already added to my miles high to do list.  It was like my brain could not handle even one extra ounce of responsibility.  Then by the end of the evening you have probably fallen asleep on the couch which your butt has been parked on for the last couple of hours because you are just so tired.  But then don't forget to wake up several times in the night worrying about your clients, a decision you have made, or worrying about your to do list for work tomorrow,

Then it's pretty much rinse, recycle and repeat until the possibility of obtaining a work/life balance comes up at your current job, you get a new one, or you eventually leave the field entirely if you just can't keep up with the crazy pace.



No comments:

Post a Comment