Monday 11 June 2012

Second Guessing Yourself



This is something that I have been struggling with lately in regards to my career.  I have made a decision about a new direction that I want to go in, taking a more administrative path with social work, but I am having a hard time coming to terms with this decision.

I love social work, however I am getting burnt out with the front line nature of the field.  As some family members have mentioned, I underestimate how sensitive I am and my clients issues touch my heart deeply.  I know that I am good at my job, caring, empathetic, determined and honest, however it's the juggling of home visits, meetings and being on call which is becoming too much for me.  It has taken me many mistakes to finally come to this realisation but I did make it a little while ago.  Since then I have been trying to find appropriate social work jobs that fit my new requirements and this has definitely not been easy!

Sometimes I wonder if I am copping out but it is my career and I do have to find the path that best suits my personality, values, abilities and natural strengths.  I can see myself having a more administrative social work job but actually taking that step is proving to be hard.  I can't stop second guessing myself.  I know that I have to trust my heart and intuition but it hurts when you created career goals which no longer matches who you are.  I made a lot of compromises for my health and safety in the past and now it is a non-negotiable issue for me.

Honestly the most challenging part is waiting until you can make the step that you want to make.  I have started to line things up to make my move but there are still a thing or two that I have to wait for before I can make the leap.  And it's so painful having to wait since it gives me more time to question myself.

We all have fears and negative thoughts sometimes when we want to do something different, especially if it is "out of the ordinary" for us but I guess it will make us stronger when we push past these obstacles to finally get where we both need and want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment