Saturday 15 December 2012

Being Positive in an Ever-Negative World



I remember how I was as a Social Worker in my previous positions - just trying to get by and keep my head above water.  I tried to be supportive to my clients and co-workers but there wasn't a lot to be positive about.  Many decisions I had to make and follow through on as a front line Child Welfare worker was not positive.  I had a lot of responsibility and I would constantly worry, hoping that the children on my caseload would remain safe.  I felt older than I was - actually, a lot older.

In many ways a large part of who I was was taken over by my job.  There was little room for creativity, imagination or independence.  There were also a lot of people that I had to answer to: supervisors, management, parents, children, foster parents, extended family, teacher's, principals, support workers, lawyers, judges and so on.  Everyone had their own vested interest and it was hard to always have someone disappointed or angry at me.

Now that I am in a different place professionally I see that I was just not meant to be the constant "bearer of bad news."  I don't always want to be expecting the worst and I don't always want to be the bad guy.  And I wanted to be honest to my co-workers, clients, supervisors and management about who I was.  I was tired of being a generic, personality-less worker.  I realized that 1/3 of my life would be spent at work and I wanted that time to be an extension of who I was during the other 2/3 of the time.

So I began to talk with a more authentic speech, using less jargon and using more realistic language with my clients.  I also gave myself permission to laugh and laugh with my clients.  I brightened up my office and my hair.

I am unappologetically happy and I take every opportunity I can to have fun and make sure my co-workers are having just as good of a time as myself.  There are still busy days, tiring days, and it does take some effort, but being positive sustains others and it helps to give them hope.  You just don't know who you could impact with this attitude, and that is what Social Work is about, positively impacting others.

No comments:

Post a Comment