Tuesday 1 May 2012

Letter to My Future Self



To celebrate the one month anniversary of my blog and over one hundred views, I decided to do a more personal post.  A little while back I wrote a letter to myself (thank you O Magazine for the idea which I turned backwards!) to give encouragement to my goals and dreams.  I wanted to give my ego a boost that I was on the right track and that no matter what I should keep moving forward with how I want my life to be - no matter what the naysayers think.

While you read this letter my hope is that you will think carefully about how you want your life to be in the future.  It is often said that once we imagine something it makes it easier to achieve it.  Other people may feel more comfortable with the concept of letting go of the past so perhaps considering writing a letter to your younger self might be more relevant.  Either way I hope you take the time today to reflect on yourself - where you have been, where you are now and where you would like to go.

Dear Future Self,

I want to congratulate you on the journey you've made so far.  It hasn't always been easy and there have been some hard decisions that you have had to make.  However, I know with each passing year you have become stronger and you know yourself better.  And this has been a hard lesson to learn.  You encountered many years of uncertainty with yourself but you have since come to trust your instincts and it has not led you astray.  You have pioneered and made the best decisions that were right for you.  Often this took a lot of patience, strength and tenacity but you made your life a success.  You learnt that accomplishment does not come from external successes but meeting the personal goals you have set out for yourself.  You have decided to live your ordinary life in the most extraordinary way - just as you wanted.  You have challenged your assumptions and thoughts with your openness, honesty and genuineness.  You have touched the lives of many people in your own way.  You decided not to make traditional choices and put happiness before money.  You accepted the physical distance between you and your family and learnt not to be lonely.  You told yourself that it is ok to be who you are and you don't have to change.  You took the road less travelled and had a life all the better because of it.

Love,

Patti

Now, if you wrote a letter to your younger or future self, what would it say?

No comments:

Post a Comment